Wednesday, January 9, 2013

CD13: IUI#4 is in the books

I'm sleepy, so this is may end up sounding a little rambly... 

We woke up at 4:45am.  I took a shower and shaved my legs (one of the worst things about having to get waist-down-naked so often).  Hubby took the dog out, did some dishes (I cannot tell you how much I love that he does the dishes), started my car and made some coffee.  I came downstairs, got my work stuff ready, and take a 2 minute cuddle on the couch with my very sleepy and confused dog.  Meanwhile, hubby goes upstairs to do his duty. 
(Side note: a sperm sample has to be to the clinic in less than one hour before they start dying.  We live 55-60 minutes from the Akron office.  I get a little stressed out making sure I get it there on time)
Hubby returns downstairs victorious, hands me the cup, and I shove it down my sweater like usual.  It has to stay warm, so the best thing is to keep it against your body.  Judge me if you will, it sounds weird, but you would do the same... trust me! I run to the car, throw it in reverse, and drive like a bat outta hell to the office.  49 minutes= a new personal best. 

I dropped off the sample, which involves paperwork, photo ID, social security numbers, etc and then they took it to count, wash and spin, and then count again.  They put it in "happy juice" to keep them swimming and alive and give them more energy than normal.  This whole process takes about an hour, so I went downstairs, got a subway breakfast sandwich and diet coke, and sat like a zombie until 8am. 
Back up the elevator I went, back to the waiting room I have sat in over 20 times, and back to that nervous feeling that it's all downhill from here.  They took me to the room, had me verify the sample (hubby always jokes that I'm going to pop out a mixed race baby one day and then we will get rich), and then I strip and jump up on the table.

I waited about 10 minutes - in which time I prayed begged God to please let this work this time. 

The IUI went off without a hitch, and hubby had the best sperm numbers yet... started out with 90 million, and the washing process takes out the slow and dumb and dead ones.  Turns out they pumped me full of 32 million Michael Phelps quality swimmers! 

Now, we wait... if this works, this will be the first picture of our little one, well half of it at least.  The tiny test tube in the cup holds my hope.



2 comments: