Sunday, April 28, 2013

CD15: Shoot me up one more time

We went back to the doctor this morning (second Sunday morning in a row).  On Wednesday when I was there, I had about 8 follicles, but the biggest one was only 14mm and the rest of them were around 10mm.  Even though none of them were mature yet, my blood estrogen level came back slightly uncomfortably high, so they had me back down the injection dose from 125 to 100 and return today for a recheck.  They were worried that I might overstimulate and have to cancel the cycle due to having too many follicles. 

Doc walked into the room in jeans and a polo, which I totally dig, as I hate working weekends myself and usually chose to "let" my staff dress casually on Saturdays, just so that I can wear jeans too.  Anyway, vag cam came out, got lubed up, and off we went.  He found 3 follicles: two of them are 18mm, one was 17.5mm, and there was a straggler on one side that was 15mm - which probably will not catch up in time. 

Doc was happy, I was happy, and we agreed to have the nurse give me my trigger, and return tomorrow morning bright and early for IUI #6.  Then, I just had to go and ruin the mood and ask the hypothetical question of what are we going to do if or when we find out that this round failed.  He took a deep breath, thought for a second or two and said his medical opinion would be to try one more IUI with injectables, and if unsuccessful, hubby and I would have to decide what we are comfortable doing next.  The options he provided were foster parenting, adoption, being childless or pursing the ever expensive (and of course out of pocket) IVF (invitro-fertilization).  To which I replied without any hesitation, "we will be doing IVF."  Perhaps I should have asked my husband what he thought, but I already know what he wants, so I spoke quickly for both of us.  Doc nodded and said he knew that's what I'd say (haha) and told me to ask the nurse to set up an IVF consultation so that we can sit down and discuss the ins and outs beforehand so we aren't scrambling to figure out what we are doing once (or if) my period comes.  I was happy to have the extra 5 minutes of discussion time with him, so it made going in on a Sunday on 4 hours of sleep very worth it. 

I took a deep breath, put my pants back on, and the nurse came in to administer my trigger shot.  Let me tell you, that thing hurts like a mother f-er.  It's a huge pinch and it burns.  For some reason, this one hurt more than normal, but yet, after she was done, I said "thank you."  I didn't really mean it, but it seemed like the right thing to say at the time. 

So, tomorrow, we go back to Akron for IUI #6.  Everything seems to be perfect again, but don't be fooled, it's been perfect 5 out of 6 medicated cycles yet we have never seen a positive test.  Today finished up National Infertility Awareness Week, so maybe fate will be kind and let tomorrow be the end of the Infertile Miserable Jen Year (almost 2)...  

No comments:

Post a Comment