Saturday, February 9, 2013

Lap Results: He found a Mess... YES!

Howdy y'all.  I'm back amongst the living.  Yesterday was a very long day.  We left the house at 9:45a and got home at 11p.  Moon-dog was behind all morning (surprise, surprise) so my pre-op appointment that was supposed to be at 10:45 actually happened at 12:15.  He basically just talked with Ryan and I about what was going to happen and then we went downstairs to the same day surgical center.  Right before we left his office, he said the famous last words, "I know I'm running behind, but my first surgical case before you should be short and sweet, so we will probably start on time."  As a doc myself, I know you should never promise those things.  It's Murphy's Law.  





Well, they got me prepped, put my IV in, took me upstairs to the surgical center, then kicked my hubby and mom out to the waiting room.  I laid there for a good 45 minutes, and a nurse came over saying that she called my family back in to sit with me for awhile because the case before me was taking much longer than expected.  And when I say much longer, I mean he was in there with her for 2 hours when it should have been 30 minutes.  Doc came into where I was waiting to apologize for being behind, and then proceeded to tell us that the case before had a fibroid tumor that filled her entire uterus and he broke 2 roto-rooter tools while trying to break it up.  He looked exhausted, and I thought to myself "that's probably not the best thing to say when you're about to open me up doc." 

The anesthesiologist then injected something into my IV to help me relax, I said bye to my family and they wheeled me back.  I think I have about 30 seconds of memory from there on.  The last thing I recall was the anesthesiologist saying "ok doc smith, go ahead and take a deep breath" and I remember the gas smelling disgusting. 

I woke up in the recovery room with mom and Ryan staring at me.  My throat hurt so bad from the intubation and I immediately started complaining that I was hungry and wanted Chick-fil-a. (it was about 7pm when I woke up)  They told me that I wasn't allowed to leave until I peed, so I started chugging fluids while Ryan went to fill my pain meds.  All in all, this is what I drank:
-2 cans of ginger ale
-a bottle of diet dr pepper
-2 hospital pitchers of water
-small bottle of gatorade
-cup of hot tea

... and after all that, I couldn't pee.  They cathed me during surgery, and I had gone so long without fluids that I was awfully dehydrated.  I was getting very irritated at the nurses, so I just went and sat in the bathroom for 15 minutes and forced some out.  I was so proud of myself, called the nurse in, and she said it wasn't enough and I had to go more.  Um, excuse me biznatch?  So, my mother, being the good nurse she is, grabbed my IV bag and opened it all the way and started squeezing the fluids into me as I chugged more water.  About 15 minutes later, I was able to go again, and the begged to get the hell out of there.  We left the hospital at 10:15pm... and then went to Wendy's because Chick-fil-a was closed.  Boo! 

I'm pretty sore today and also pretty sleepy.  The incision he made at my hip bone hurts pretty bad.  I woke up every hour, on the hour last night to pee because I was so full of fluids (stupid nurse).  But it's all worth it, at least, I hope so.  Doc found multiple cysts and endometriosis and told Ryan that he "took care of it all".  So, we are hopeful that that was the root cause of our reproductive woes.  Honestly, I would have been enormously pissed off if it was all rainbows and a pot of gold in there, so I am so happy there was a mess.  Does it suck to have to deal with endometriosis now... yes.  But at least we have some sort of 'problem' to blame all this on. 

I'm not certain what the next step is, or when the next step gets to happen, so I will call the office on Monday to get some more answers.  Until then, I'm parked on my couch for the weekend watching basketball and cooking shows, and eating an insane amount of popsicles to help with this sore throat.  Oh, and the vicodin is pretty nice too :)  Somebody get me a cocktail!...

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear it went well and that he found some answers. Hoping for good things to come!! Hope you got some rest this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete